Monday, March 2, 2009

Ruins and Tourists and Holes, Oh My!

On my third trip to Mexico City last weekend, I FINALLY made it to Teotihuacán - that place that every kid in Mexico (or, at least, the ones who can afford it) goes to on a field trip when they are in elementary school.

Museums are free on Sundays for Mexican citizens, and although I am still mired in the paperwork for my work permit, I am most certainly a Mexican citizen when passing through museum gates on a Sunday. Here, in pictures, are the highlights of a fun day getting sunburnt.


1) There are all these random tunnels that go through a small line of of barriers that line the Avenue of the Dead - the main street that transverses the ruins. So, of course, I climbed through one. A great idea if you are three. Not such a great idea if you are twenty three. And keep banging, alternately, your head and knees on the stone. Even when you try to crab-walk through. There were four or five of these that I could have gone through, but one was enough.




2) They sold little kid bow and arrows in the parking lot, in the gift shop area, and about every 10 meters or so throughout the ruins. And although I am not seven years old, I wanted one. Seriously, they looked awesome. Also - the thing on a pole behind those kids? There are trained professionals, dressed in their native outfits (someone told me from Veracruz) who twirl all the way down to the ground in a controlled decline while one of them plays a pipe. It is pretty impressive.




3) A cop chilling during his shift on the Pyramid of the Sun. Which only took 5 or 10 minutes to climb. Third largest pyramid in the world, y'all.

No comments: